The biggest issue facing winter skin care is lack of moisture. The skin, our largest organ, is more sensitive in the winter wind and harsh climates. Our outer most skin or barrier layer seals and protects the deeper layers and tissues from outside elements.
The cold weather dries, damages and injures the outer barrier. It can become less effective and less water tight. Dehydrated skin often lacks moisture and water which is why we may feel flaky, chapped or cracked at times including lack of plumpness.
Lifestyle and the environment elements can only exacerbate winter skin issues. This would include; where one resides, type of housing, exercise and allergies just to mention a few.
Protect against dryness
- Lower thermostat to 68-69 degrees. This temperature range is moderate. If the temperature gets much warmer or colder your will slowly become drier.
- Layer clothing, soft fabric are best to prevent itching.
- Invest in a humidifier to put moisture back into the air.
- Avoid hot showers and baths. Water that is too hot could cause skin to sweat.
- Soften your water, because hard water can be drying and irritating.
- Compensate for some medications such antibiotics which can cause constipation and dehydration.
- Dramatically increase your water intake to keep hydrated.
- Keep your immune system boosted by taking your omegas.
- Invest in an appropriate skin care regiment for added moisture!!!
- Always protect with a nourishing moisturizer all-over.
Winter time can be very damaging to the skin, but it doesn’t have to be. So follow these skincare tips and to have glorious skin just in time for the holidays!!