Baby, it’s cold outside and your skin needs some attention. As the temperatures drop this winter, the elements both outdoors and indoors can wreak havoc on your skin. Outside, the cold temperatures, wind, and dry air can cause your skin to dry out. The heated air and lack of humidity indoors dry your skin out even more. The end result is dry skin, winter itch, wind burn, bloody noses, and chapped, dry, and cracking hands.

Not only do the colder temperatures and lower humidity dry your skin out, they also cause poor circulation and slower cell turnover. This means that your skin doesn’t get the nutrients and oxygen it needs to regenerate healthily. It also means that you have to work a little harder to have healthy glowing skin during the winter months.

During the cold, dry months of winter, you will need to modify your skin care routine a little bit. Here are some helpful tips to keep your skin healthy and looking good during the coldest of Minnesota winters:

• Make sure to wear appropriate moisturizer. If your skin is dry, you need an oil based moisturizer. If your skin is oily, look for a humectant, or water based moisturizer to avoid break outs
.
• Even during the winter, you need a sunscreen. Be sure to apply it 30 minutes before going outdoors and repeat as necessary. Even though it’s cold outside, the sun’s glare and reflections can damage your skin. I recommend products that contain zinc, as zinc is skin friendly and gets the job done.

• Wait 20 minutes after bathing to go outdoors so your skin can adjust to the temperature change.

• Avoid hot baths and washing with very hot water as it breaks down the protective lipid barrier of your skin. This means that hot water strips your skin of its natural oils, and the result is dry, itchy skin.

• Don’t forget to protect your hands with mittens or gloves.

• Protect your lips with a lip balm and sunscreen.

• Be careful not to over exfoliate during the winter, especially with harsh peels.

• Consider a humidifier at home. I keep mine next to my bed, which not only hydrates my skin, but I find that I can breathe better, too.

• Drink plenty of water to keep your body well-hydrated.

• Lather up all over with a rich body lotion or shea butter product. Pay particular attention to your hands and feet. This will help you avoid dry itchy skin.

I would suggest trying the rich Thermo Protect Cream from Phytomer for dry skin and Vivier oil free moisturizer for oily skin. Our favorite protective lip balm is Donell, it’s also very nourishing. As for sun protection, Epicuren active sport SPF 30. For a rich and softening body lotion or shea butter, PSScherven Nourishing Skin Care is perfect to meet your needs. It’s 90% natural, the other 10% is the vitamins A, E and C that’s been added for nourishment.

Stay Warm!